As some of you may have noticed already, Puppet configuration management system has just been upgraded to 3.0.0 release.
Being a major milestone, this upgrade brings the following major improvements:
- performance is much better for catalog compilation
- improved and expanded OS support – lots of Windows improvements, great new functionality for Solaris (zones, packages and services are finally supported now)
- pluginsync is now enabled by default
- new version of Ruby is supported (Ruby 1.9) and Ruby DSL was completely rewritten
- dynamic scoping is no longer supported (yep, this breaks backwards compatibility with 2.7.x branch of Puppet)
I have read and reviewed a couple of great books on Puppet, so check the reviews out: