I'm always learning something new, and quite regularly the learnings come together to shape a project to automate, improve or simplify some aspect of my setup.
This page will document the Unix Tutorial Projects initiated to date. If you have any great ideas for similar experiments or projects – please let me know.
Unix Tutorial Projects
- Unix Tutorial Projects: Install Ubuntu 19.04 on Dell XPS 13 9380 - I just couldn't wait this long to try Ubuntu 19.04 and all the improvements it brings, so my past week's project has been to install Ubuntu 19.04 on my Dell XPS 13 9380 laptop.
- Use OfflineIMAP For Receiving Email - This week's Unix Tutorial Project is super geeky and fun: I'm setting up text-based email archive system using Mutt (NeoMutt, actually), OfflineIMAP and hopefully NotMuch.
- Projects: Automatic Keyboard Backlight for Dell XPS in Linux - Last night I finished a fun mini project as part of Unix Tutorials Projects. I have writted a basic enough script that can be added as root cronjob for automatically controlling keyboard backlight on my Dell XPS 9380. Bash Script for Keyboard Backlight Control As I've written just a couple of days ago, it's […]
- Projects: Start tmux Instead of Login Prompt on tty1 - I'm writing about so many experiments and Unix Tutorial projects lately that I'm going to create a hardware lab section on this blog soon! As you may know, I have a Raspberry Pi system named becky, and it has a 7" touchscreen attached to it. I recently started the Centralised RSyslog Project based around that […]
- Projects: NAS storage with Helios 4 - This past week (actually past two weeks) I worked on building a compact NAS storage system using the Helios 4 kit I had received a few weeks ago. The expected end result is a 4-drive RAID5 storage available to Windows, Linux and Mac backup clients via native file transfer protocols. Helios 4 NAS storage Helios […]
- Unix Tutorial Projects: Compiling Brave browser on Linux Mint - Some of you may have noticed: I added the link to Brave browser to the sidebar here on Unix Tutorial. That's because I'm giving this new browser a try and support its vision to reward content producers via Brave's Basic Attention Token cryptocurrency. If you aren't using Brave browser already, download and try Brave browser […]
- Unix Tutorial Projects: GitHub Pages with Jekyll - This past weekend I decided to finally learn how to use GitHub Pages and to publish my static website using Jekyll. Please let me know if you find anything wrong with my approach, I'm not a software developer and have only used GitHub very little so far. GitHub Pages It's possible to host your basic […]
- Unix Tutorial Projects: Centralised RSyslog - Think I have enough time writing about ongoing efforts, learnings and projects of mine here on Unix Tutorial, so it makes perfect sense to introduce another regular thing: Unix Tutorial Projects. Usually these are small enough things to fit into a calendar week, and at the end of each project I'll be publishing a post […]